Thursday, October 6, 2016

Keeping An Eye On Hurriicane Matthew

October 6, 2016

Good morning.  It's looking really gorgeous outside my door.  Tis a wee bit on the cool side right now, only 56F degrees, but later it will warm up to 71 degrees.  The only thing that could make this day better would be if my nose would dry up.  I had to go out and buy six more boxes of Puffs tissues to keep up with these annoying sniffles.

Well, we did it!!  Yesterday, Pogo and I got into the car and drove ourselves into Boston to visit with Aunt Lucy.  Actually, it is South Boston, and it's not so bad as driving into downtown Boston.  That's where I draw my line.  Whatever is in downtown Boston will just have to do without me.

The traffic,  as usual, was a bit scary.  That's a big part of why I don't like to drive to Boston.  Some of the drivers out there are really whacko!!  Somehow though, my guardian angels keep watch over me and I manage to get where I am going.


I took some of the bracelets that I've been making with me to show to Aunt Lucy.  She loved them.  Hmmm, her favorite color is blue so I guess I'll be adding a blue bracelet to my list of holiday projects.  We had a wonderful visit, and I came away with a beautiful bouquet of flowers from Aunt Lucy's garden.


When we got home, I found a couple small packages in my mailbox.  Woo Hoo!  Now I can finish a couple more bracelets!  There were also a couple new catalogues.  One was a plant catalogue, and I just couldn't resist buying a new plant.  For indoors, of course.  (In the Spring, it can go outside) 

Years ago, I had a beautiful bush that had the most wonderful smelling orange blossoms on it.  So, yesterday afternoon,  I ordered an Orange Jasmine plant.  It blooms year round, and smells like orange blossoms.  (according to the write up)  Here's a photo I found on Google to show you this beautiful plant.


Joe left me a note this morning saying that he would not be going grocery shopping today, so I guess I'll make a list and go out this morning to pick up a few things that Pogo and I need.    First, I'll wait for the mail to get here, so let's hope it comes early. 

I shut off my TV programs yesterday afternoon, and turned on the Weather Channel so that I can keep updated on the hurricane.  My boys (son and stepson) and some close friends live in Florida, and my daughter and her family live in the southern coastal corner of Virginia.  I pray that they will all be safe.

Millions of folks are going to be losing their power.  Many of them have already evacuated their homes.  Along with deadly winds, there will also be a lot of flooding.  Some places will be getting more than a foot of new rainfall.  My prayers are with everyone in the path of Hurricane Matthew.  (it will be a Category 4 as it hits landfall in Florida later today)

Well, that's my news for today.  Now I'm going to refresh my cup of coffee and make my shopping list.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all be safe and have a great day.

Hugs, Edna B.

2 comments:

smiekeltje said...

Hoorray and big applause for you for your trip to Boston!
So glad all went well and that you had a great visit with Aunt Lucy
That bush with it's white flowers really looks great. will it becone really big or can you keep it a bit smaller size by regular pruning?
We have hurricane Matthew on the news here too, of course
I hope that your family and friends will be okay, as all people who will have to deal with the hurricane.
Time for me to post on my blog and then do some grocerie shopping too
Have a wonderful day
Hug
Kyra

The Queen Jester said...

My friend is looking for a place to buy in The Villages and said it was getting scary, hardly any supplies in the stores...not the way she wanted to start her new life.