Wednesday, February 11, 2015

So Much Snow Brings Scary Roof Problems

February 11, 2015

Good morning.  Guess what?  Yup, it's been snowing all morning.  I don't even want to look out my window to see how much of it there is.  I'm just hoping it all stops pretty soon. 

The plow truck came by yesterday morning again.  I'm grateful that he had time to take care of us, but I hope not to have to see him again for a while.  Sorry man.  Nothing personal.  When Joe got home from work, he got out the ladder and cleared the snow off the roof on the shed again, and the snow from the roofs over both porches. 

As for the snow on the main roofs of the house, I may have to call in a professional roof-snow remover.  There's just too much snow, and the roofs are just too high.  I'll have to do some research on this today.  I did manage to order us a roof rake from Amazon, but I'm afraid it won't be of any help to us on these main roofs.

Has anyone noticed a huge difference in their electric bills?  I got some advertising in the Fall about rising electricity costs, and that I should be looking into alternate types of power.  Well, I got busy with other things and paid not enough attention to this.  For December, my electric bill was definitely higher, but I just got my January bill and almost choked over it.  One month and almost $900.  Now I definitely have to start researching alternative power sources.  This is jut not very funny.

On a brighter note, I borrowed this delightful image from my daughter's web page.  I think it pretty much shows how most New Englanders feel.


I have not been in much of a mood for crocheting lately, and sad to say I don't spend as much time on it as I should.  I do have a photo of claret afghan that I started.  This one will be for Jasmine.  I've mostly been working on this and on the blue one for Kevin when I do take time to crochet.

 
That's all my news for this morning.  Now I think I'll make me a fresh cup of hot coffee and do a bit of blog reading.  Till tomorrow, Y'all have a splendid day.

Hugs, Edna B.

6 comments:

smiekeltje said...

You definately have a snow problem!
it is no fun anymore and it should end soon.
Gosh, I understand you choked about your energy bill!
It is HUGE, and now our energy bill looks so small, and i already think we pay a lot.
Don't have much time want to make a little post and then already it's time to prepare dinner!
Hugs
Kyra

Unknown said...

Oh Edna, $900.00 is enough to really choke on. Is there a chance that there is a mistake? Ours jumped as well. Last month was $91.00 and this month it was $245.00... we were like... Dang and it wasn't that cold here. But I would have to take stock in candles if we were to ever reach the mark that yours has.

All that snow is really just way to much. It is crazy the way the weather is going right now. You are getting dumped on and down here our high yesterday was 78 degrees. Our trees should not be budding out until Aril and it is just February.

I love the colors for Jasmines afghan. Gorgeous. I know that she will love it.
Have a wonderful day... Hugs, Beth

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

How are they explaining the increase in the electric bill ... that doesn't make any sense to me. I think you are being gouged.

So the snow keeps coming according to my weather report ... you have another system coming in with another pile of snow. I feel for you ... and I worry about the weight of all that snow on your roof. You might do well to just bite the bullet and get a professional in to clear it off. Oh yes, your little snowman has it right ... Soon, like a little more than two weeks yes?

We are doing fine here. Mint is struggling with getting her body clock to change over to Central Standard time. She wakes up wide away in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep. She is doing a little better though so it is just a matter of time.

Izzi played in the snow today, but it is still pretty deep, so she wasn't able to do much. But she was pretty excited about getting out in it. We have a light snow coming tonight, but I don't think it will be much and I am hoping we will get some more warmer days so what we have keeps meltling down. Actually Florida sounds pretty good to me at this point, but too much going on around here. Better go ... my daughter has PT this afternoon ... they are treating her for her headaches and it seems to be working ... ammen to that! You have a nice day and I hope you can get your roof taken care of. Be safe, Edna and snuggle up Pogo ...

Andrea @ From The Sol

The Queen Jester said...

Every time we see the news and the snow expected to dump again in your corner of the world I groan. When do you leave for Florida? That will give you a bit of a break until spring arrives.

Debby said...

I have been worried about all the roofs. At least you are trying to do something. I don't know how you clear snow from the tall peaks. I hope that electric bill was for everyone and not just you. Yikes. Could it be a mistake. And I was complaining about my son's bill that we will have to help pay. I know the rates have gone up. Do you have electric heat or gas. Interesting that they suggested you look into other heating methods. Not much of a choice out there that is safe.
The temps are dropping here. Supposed to be 2 on Sunday with wind chills of minus 39, are they kidding. School is already closed on Friday and Monday so at least the kids won't have to go out. You stay safe and warm. Hugs

Annesphamily said...

I am praying about the snowy rooftops in New England! Be careful my friend! I so love that snowman. He is too silly, doesn't he know he'll melt once he gets to Florida?!? I wish I knew how to crochet. I would make afghans for the lil ones and just enjoy it! You do a beautiful job. Have a beautiful day and stay warm and safe.