Monday, October 6, 2014

Will Dispensing Fewer Pain Pills Curb Addiction?

October 6, 2014

Good afternoon.  No apologies for not getting up early this morning.  It was just too darn cold in here to come out from under the covers unless it was absolutely necessary.  I was going to put the heat on last night, but some of the dwarfs said not to because it wasn't really that cold.  Next time, I listen only to me! 

It's a bit early to be turning the heat on but it seems to be getting cold earlier than usual.  This does not make me very happy, but Mother Nature isn't asking for my opinion.  Brrrr.  I may have to start wearing sweatshirts now too.  I don't really like wearing long sleeves, but if this cold keeps up, I will be picking up a few of these to wear.

Yesterday, I promised to take photos of the new yarn, but I got busy with other things and did not take any photos.  I promise I'll do it today.  Last evening, I thought about putting a few more rows on the lavender afghan but it is thick and my fingers hurt while I'm working on it.  So I started a new lavender afghan, this time with only one strand of yarn.  This one should be easier to work on.

Saturday morning, Pogo and I went out to do a couple of errands, and I just had to stop and take a few photos with my cell phone.  Some of the trees are just beautiful.  This one in particular is always a treat to look at.  I'm not sure of it's name, so if anyone knows please let me know.  




There was a follow up item in yesterday's newspaper to the "prescription pill addiction" problem.  The headline read "Doctors prescribe fewer pills for pain."   A pain advisory committee has decided that the answer to the addiction problem is to give out fewer pain pills.  Do they really think that this will solve the problem?

Unfortunately, some doctors actually are responsible for "over-prescribing".  It seems that in some instances, doctors have been giving out prescriptions for as many as 40 to 90 pain pills for a seven day period.  Excuse me?  Who needs that many pills?    Another problem is the type and strength of the narcotics being prescribed.  Some folks are being prescribed heavy duty pain killers for problems that require a much lighter medication. 

I guess the bottom line here is that doctors do need to think before they prescribe.  However, a lot of us folks do not abuse the drugs that we need to use.  Hopefully, we are not the folks who will have their prescriptions cut back.  Time will tell.

Now I really must get busy here.  It's getting late and I need to make some lunch for my little guy.  He hasn't been feeling so good these past couple of days, nor has be been eating very much.  Hopefully, I can find something tasty that will tempt him to eat.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

6 comments:

Kathy said...

Hi, Edna! I think that tree might be a mimosa but I am not certain. It's pretty, though.

Isn't it a shame that a few folks spoil things for everyone. I sure hope your medication isn't affected.

The Queen Jester said...

No idea what kind of tree, but it's certainly pretty. Hope your meds situation gets settled soon.

Angelicastar said...

@ Kathy, I think the tree is a mimosa also. Ms. Edna, I've been trying to tell my ignorant brother that he need to stop taking other people narcotic(hydrocodone). I've also explained to him why the doctors cannot prescribe narcotic pain meds for people like him and myself who has secondary osteoarthritis and who has chronic pain, which was inherited from my father. Now they won't give him the meds he need because when they test his blood they found meds that they didn't prescribe. I take some strong meds, but they are not in the narcotic family. They keep me stable along with the steroid injections that I take twice a year in my hands and knees. I know I am in Houston, Texas with better health care facilities than they have in Shreveport, Louisiana where he live in which is our hometown. But I realize no matter what, sometimes medication will not stop the pain. I've had to go to the emergency room for a pain shot, but I follow the rules from my doctor and keep my meds. (lol) I doesn't think we will have anything to worry about as long as we make our doctor appointments and don't try to overfill our prescriptions. Walgreen has it bad trying to over fill my flexerill. I had to tell the Walgreen pharmacist off Sunday about filling a flexerill prescription when the efile was just to put it on file so when they are needed I wouldn't have to depend on them contacting rheumatologist for a refill.

Debby said...

I was told the med they put me on for preventing my migraines was a non-narcotic and a safe med. I was prescribed two a day or every 4 hours as needed. I never took more than the two. I started having headaches anyway every day but they didn't turn into migraines. I had some other strange changes like anxiety attacks at bedtime and just couldn't sleep. All of a sudden my medication was put on the controlled substance list. No warning, cold turkey. It had opiums in it, and I didn't know that. I can't take Morphine so this was somewhat like that. I was so upset that my doctor had mislead me. I spaced the three tablets I had left out over a few days. I was a mess for 2 1/2 weeks. I never drink or smoke. When I am prescribed a pain med for surgery, I only take it 2 days. So this certainly caught me off guard. When I went back to the pharmacy a couple weeks later to pick up another med I take,they said they had the other for me. I said NO WAY. My mom takes the same med and thinks she has to have it. She is 87 so what do you do. She is having to take it sooner and more often as time goes on. Thank goodness I didn't do that. I would still be a non-sleeping looney tune. So, not to proud sharing this but hope it helps someone else. The drug was Tramadol. It is being over prescribed in the ER and becoming a street drug. Yep, that non-narcotic safe med.

smiekeltje said...

The tree looks like mimosa, but I am not sure it really is. Mimosa has more like little furry balls, and here the "blossoms"are longer.It more looks like a laburnum. But also of that I am not really sure.
It is hard to get to lower temperatures, they've dropped here to quite suddenly.
Today is not good looking, rains and wind. Brrr.
Last couple of days i am a bit under the weather, feeling not too good, I think I have catched a cold or so.
But yesterday i took a loong nap and this night i slept well too, and long and I am starting to feel better again.
Poor Pogo, I wonder what is bothering him, but I am sure you will find something tasty that he really likes to eat, and as soon as he starts eating well again, he will be doing better.
Have a nice and warm day, and if you are feeling too uncomrotable in the house, put on the heat for a little while, just to get rid of the cold.
Have a nice day
Hug
Kyra

Edna B said...

Thanks, Angelica and Debby. Over the past couple of years some of my meds were put on the "no no for elderly" list. When I asked why, the answer that I got was "we don't want you getting addicted."

I think they should have checked with my doctor before doing this. He knows my record of meds and how and when I use them.

I have pain meds too, but I only take them when absolutely necessary to take away the edge of pain and I can cope with the rest.

Debby, I found this info about the Tramadol quite interesting. So. when they decide to take away the Tramadol, I wonder what folks will be able to use instead.

I wish you both luck with your meds, and thank you for sharing. Have a wonderful day, hugs, Edna B.