Thursday, October 2, 2014

If We Could Crochet Our Food, I'd Be A Great Cook!

October 2, 2014

Good afternoon.  Yup, today's another one of my late lazy days.  My little guy woke me up around 2:45 this morning because he was hungry.  So, the good mommy that I am, I got up and made him a nice snack.  In return, he let me stay in bed and sleep all morning.  He's such a good boy, my Pogo.

Yesterday was not my day for cooking.  Mid afternoon, I decided to make a meatloaf for supper.  I got everything ready and then decided that the glass cooking dish was too big.  So I put the mixture into a smaller microwave meatloaf pan and decided to cook the meatloaf in the microwave oven.

It's been a very long time since I've cooked a meatloaf this way and I could not remember how long to cook it.  So I put the timer on thirty minutes and went abut my business.  I guess I don't have to tell you what I found when I opened the microwave oven thirty minutes later.

The meatloaf had shriveled down to about half of it's original size, and was completely black.  Not only that, once I pried it out of the pan, I found that I had a super duper weapon of destruction should I want to throw it at anyone.  I tried to cut it open in hopes that there was something still edible in the center of this brick, but the knife would not cut through it.    Oy vey!!! 

Well, thanks for that box of Bubba Burgers in the freezer.  Hamburgers to the rescue!   Considering my unique skills in the kitchen, I always try to keep alternative meals in my freezer.  These burgers are great because you can cook them while they are frozen, and they taste good.  Add to these some fresh green beans and linguini with some butter and lots of garlic, and you have a tasty dinner.

For dessert, DIL Janet brought along a huge lemon merengue pie and an assortment of delicious cupcakes.  Did I mention that Wednesday is a "no diet" day?   It's our night to eat whatever we please. 

Aside from the cooking part, the rest of the afternoon was spent watching the birds play in the rain puddles outside my door.  I took a few photos and even a short movie.  This photo was taken through the storm door (and screen).


And here's a shot of how my little guy spends a good part of his days now.  There's just so much going on out there all day with the birds and small critters, plus the cars and people going by out front. 


Today is still gray and cool, but it looks like the rain has let up for a while.  This is good because I just got a call from the nail salon.  They want me to come in today instead of tomorrow.  This is okay with me. 

Last, but not least, I did manage to finish the country blue afghan last night.  Woo Hoo!!  Just one more to finish before December, the lavender one.  I think.  I do have a few that I want to make afterwards, but they are not needed before the holidays. 

Well that's the news for today.  Till tomorrow, Y'all have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

4 comments:

The Queen Jester said...

Thanks for the chuckle - we've all had those kind of cooking experiences. I remember tossing out some bread that didn't turn out and I swear I heard the squirrels tossing it back against the house.
I love Pogo's little skull sweater - perfect for October.

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

OMG ... I knew what was going to happen before you even said it. LOL, Edna ... you behave like an old Poop (I would know, right?) Well, I liked your replacement dinner and you could have crocheted the Linguini to make it a little more interesting. Why are you telling me on Thursday that Wednesday is eat what you want day ... now I have to wait a whole week before I can splurge ... or not. I may just declare Thursday as a make up day for eating whatever you want.

It is amazing how you whip out those aphgans. You really have your technique down at this point. Sounds like some people in your life are going to have a wonderful holiday ... good for you!

We have been warned that there is an ugly front coming through and we are going to have storms for two days. Nice :( I did get my lawn mowed this morning and now all of that rain will get the grass growing again and I will be cutting again by the weekend. Our fall weather is definately here. It has been cooler all week, which I have no problem with, but I would like a little more sunlight. Izzi is already loving the cool weather ... and to her, the best is yet to come. SNOW ... oh how she loves the SNOW. I will get used to the snow and the cold, but I am not looking forward to the ten minutes it takes me to get enough layers on to go outside with her ... then the same thing coming in to get unlayered. I was kind of enjoying the freedom of flying out the door whenever I felt like it. Well, that's enough bitching for now ... Hope you enjoyed your Lemon Merengue Pie ... I drool just thinking about it. Be well and our love to Pogo and Sunshine ... looking for more pictures of Sunshine. She is a beauty:)

Andrea @ From The Sol

Nani said...

I don’t cook in the microwave much because it’s an effort for me to be able to reach the microwave to burn popcorn, but I do that anyway. I usually have salads or instants soup that I can do with the Keurig maker. The ast time I tried to really cook something in the microwave during the day it was macaroni and cheese; the type you boil the macaroni first and then add the milk and cheese mixture. Yeah, reach and wobble and …I ended up spending my extra energy cleaning water and scattered macaroni off the counter where the whole cup fell.


Our furkids sit in front of CatTV the same way Pogo does DogTV! It was a just reward for letting you sleep in though! He takes good care of you!

Hugs and scritches, Nani and the feline kids

smiekeltje said...

What a pity of the meatloaf. But your story brought a big smile to my face!
I long ago threw away the microwave( although sometimes it is handy), because it didn;t work anymore and never bought another one. I hang to the oven, I like it much moore and food is tastier prepared in an oven.
Good you had something in the freezer you could prepare quickly.
Sorry for the rain although it is sometimes needed.
as I am a bit late already, i quickly go to post on my blog now.
Have a terrific day!
Hug
Kyra