Wednesday, July 9, 2014

An Invasive Vine Is Ruining Gardens

July 9, 2014

Good morning.  Tis another very warm day here in my little part of New England.  The good part is that we are not expecting any nasty storms.  Pogo and I were thinking of taking a ride to Plymouth Harbor this morning, but we might wait until Friday when it is going to be a bit cooler. 

I had an appointment at the nail salon later today, but they have just called and would like for me to come in earlier, around 11 a.m.  This might be just as well because it gets it out of the way sooner. 

This past weekend, I took a photo of an invasive twining vine that has invaded the Mrs' gardens, and is destroying all her plants and shrubs.  I have tried to identify the vine by looking it up on Google, but there are so many different ones and some of them look very much alike.  This first photo is the vine that has invaded the Mrs' yard.


I'm not quite sure what the name of this pest is, but if you see it in your yard, you need to get rid of it.  As you cut it out or pull it up, you should place it on a large tarp of sorts.  Any droppings you leave will surely become new vines next Spring.  If possible, the plants and clippings should be burned.  (safely, in the proper container)

This is a photo of the invasive Pale Swallowwort vine.


And this is a photo of another invasive vine (I don't know the name).  This photo shows how the vine wraps itself around any living plant or shrub, and squeezes the life out of the plant.


This plant also attaches itself to hedges, drain pipes, gutters -- just about anything.  Here's another photo that I got from Google to show what the long tendrils of this plant look like as they reach out to grab on to the next thing in it's path.


If you have a shrub, hedge of plant with these kind of viney tendrils shooting out of it, do what you can to eradicate this pesky invasive vine before you have no plants left at all.  You can check online to see the best way to get rid of it.

Now that I've expanded your education on pesky plants, I'll take my leave.  It's time to get dressed and ready to leave for my morning appointment.  Till tomorrow, Y'all have a fabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

3 comments:

The Queen Jester said...

I love vines, but the more aggressive ones can be very destructive. Good tip on placing the pulled ones on a tarp for clean up.

Mat's Merry Memoirs said...

Good Morning! I haven't been in a chatty or even a curious mood for past week or so and haven't been online...that is so amazing for me! LOL!
I am trying to catch up and have really enjoyed reading your blog and viewing all your fab photos and thanks for the education!
We are very humid, very HOT and very dry, dry, dry of rain in these parts. Would love to have a downpour....! So sorry for the folks that keep getting hit over and over with the flooding rains while we stay without. We have had 2 days in a row at 99F officially and to be triple digits for the rest of the week and weekend. We hover around 80F for the evening and nighttime too! It is very, very STICKY! Yuck, so I stay inside and read, read, read...LOL!
Today at peak getting off work times...our "President" is landing at the airport for a motorcade in the traffic (creating more tie ups) to Dallas for a fund raiser dinner...so glad I don't have to be in that! He was finally SHAMED into a brief meeting with the Governor, city manager and judge that are trying to find a resolution to help the illegal children that keep crossing our borders (52k so far), but he still refuses to visit the border sites...!
Enough of my tirade...hope you and Pogo have a terrific week and really enjoy this brief vacation or respite from work...LOL! Hugs, Mat

smiekeltje said...

Those vines are beautiful, but oh my, so invasive. Better to get rid of them completely.
It is a bit the same with ivy, although not that bad.
The ivy you can cut back heavily to keep it in shape.
Let's see how the new groomer will treat Pogo. I am sure he will look handsome when his grooming will be finished.
Good idea to plan a little trip to the seaside, perhaps you could take someone with you for a bit of company?
Although to be on your own can also be very nice and relaxing!
Have a wonderful day.
Hugs
Kyra