Thursday, February 6, 2014

It's A White Winter Wonderland Here

February 6, 2014

It's a little after 4 a.m. and I've been up for a while.  Once I wake up during the night, I can't seem to fall back to sleep.  When I officially retire, that won't matter any more because it won't matter much when I sleep or when I don't.  I guess that's another of the perks of the "Golden Years".

Well the snow finally stopped falling last night.  During the day, we got quite a bit of it before it changed over to a mixture of rain and snow for a while.  This lasted just long enough to make the snow on the ground wet and very heavy. 

A couple of the dwarfs shoveled a bit to help Joe clear the yard, but the snow was very heavy for shoveling.  Joe got out the snow blower and did his best to clear away some of the snow.  However, the snow was too wet and heavy for the snow blower too. 

I finally had to call for a snow plow to come in and clear away most of the snow.  This fellow did a great job of plowing, and later Joe went out to clear away some of the snow that was still falling.  Folks, we're getting very weary of all the snow.  It's a lot easier to get rid of it when it only falls about six inches at a time.  This much is easier for the snow blower to handle.   Nine or ten inches of wet, heavy snow is not so much fun.

During all this time, my little birds were busy at the feeder.  The little Juncos are usually ground feeders, but when the snow covers the food they fly up to the feeder to get the birdseed.  I took so many photos of them through the kitchen window that it was hard to pick out my favorite shots.  So I divided some of them into small groups and will post a few each day. 









Aren't these little birds adorable?  They are not used to eating at the feeder so sometimes they have a problem hanging on long enough to get at the food.  A lot of their antics are really fun to watch.  The first photo shows one of the birds resting in the tall rose bush outside the window.   The blue in background is my car, Baby Blue Eyes.

This morning, I need to put the bills back out in the mailbox, put a load of laundry in the washer, and get started sorting out all my tax paperwork.  Ugh!!!  I only have two weeks left to get the taxes finished up and another week to get everything else done before Pogo and I go on vacation.  Time is flying by again.  I'm hoping that it slows down when we get to Florida so that our time there will last longer.

Now it's time to get started on today's chores.  Till tomorrow, Y'all stay warm and have a fantabulous day.

Hugs, Edna B.

3 comments:

aquascrap said...

The bird photos are divine. They look as if they would be fun to watch.

You must be just as sick of the snow as we are of the heat. I can't believe I am saying this but I am looking forward to Autumn as much as you are looking forward to Spring.

You sound as if you have lots to keep you busy before you are off on your holiday. Hopefully you will get it all finished before you have to leave for Florida.

Stay warm, stay safe while out and about Edna.

Hugs
Judy xx

smiekeltje said...

Such lovely photos of the birds!
Ghee, all the time that snow, not funny anymore!
Aaahhhhh, some boring work to do, but your reward will be your vacation!
Is somebody joining you there?
Well, you stay safe, warm and out of trouble, dear LOL!
Hugs
Kyra

Annesphamily said...

Birds are such fun creatures! They know somehow they will be cared for!

The cold is getting to me. I want sunshine. Lots of warm sunshine. But we did have two days where it was tolerable.

Ah taxes! we finished ours and they are in the process of sending our tiny return to us.
Hugs Anne