Thursday, January 30, 2014

Fuel Shortages And Skyrocketing Prices

January 30, 2014

Good morning.  Brrrrr, it's cold!  It's 8F degrees at the moment, working its way towards 29F degrees later today.  The sun is shining and streaming in through my window.  It has a happy look about it, but it is still cold.

I'm watching the Weather Channel, and they are discussing the problems caused by the current propane shortage, and how the propane prices have doubled.  I realize of course, that there is this thing called supply and demand.  But I do not think it should be allowed in these severe weather conditions. 

Myself, I do not believe that we have an actual shortage of the propane.  I think a lot of the problem lies within politics and finances.  The areas needing the propane definitely have a shortage, but I believe the shortage has been created by government and/or big business.  This country stock piles all of it's products.  Dig out the stock piles and give it to the people who need it.

One reason for the reason is because there are limits as to how much propane can be transported at any one time on any highway (I heard this on the TV this morning.)  This could be solved by better planning on how and when to transport in order to insure that each area has enough propane.  However, as long as someone up there in the big business world needs more money for his pockets, this better planning won't be happening.

Because it is Winter and the temps go way down, the prices of heating fuels automatically go way up.  This should not be so.  In this country, there is no reason why our citizens need to be cold because they cannot get or even afford to get the necessary fuel to keep them warm.  Have you noticed how even the electricity costs seem to double in the cold weather season?  Hmmmm.

I almost could not believe my ears a while ago, as they were saying that the officials in one state are asking farmers and others who have extra propane that they do not need to give it back to the gas company for a credit, thus making it possible for the gas company to re-distribute it to the folks who do need it.

Are you kidding?  You get a credit of not more than what you paid for the propane, and the new recipient will pay at least double that figure to buy it from the gas company.  Here again, the gas company comes out with a financial win.  Isn't there a way to transport the propane from one customer to another for the same cost?  Food for thought.

You know how I've been saying how my little Pogo has been looking like a teeny grizzly bear?  Well now he looks more like a tiny Lion King.   I tried to trim some of the hair off his face so that he could see better, and now he has this large lion mane all around his beautiful little face. 


One of these days, when it is just a tad bit warmer, we (Pogo and I) need to get Pogo to the beauty salon for a proper trimming, and then to Town Hall for his new license. 

Here's another really adorable photo found on the web.  According to the news (where this happened in Maryland),  a person came home to find that this precious little creature had followed their family beagle in through the doggie door and had got comfortable on the sofa with it's new friend.


 God bless our animals and the trust and faith they have in each other.  However, this is one reason I could not have a doggy door.  The last thing I need in my living room is a possum, a raccoon or worse, a fisher cat.

I've been asked what was in the big box that arrived with yesterday's mail.  Well, it was an end table for Joe to put together for me, a couple of small items to put into the gift drawer, two new planters for the steps outside my door, and two more flower seed balls.  I'm trying to hurry Spring along.

Well that's it for this morning.  It's time to make a new cup of hot coffee, and maybe put a few more rows on the pink thing.  So, till tomorrow, Y'all be warm and have a wonderful day.

Hugs, Edna B.

5 comments:

Andrea @ From The Sol said...

You are right ... I love your rants, but this year there could be a reason for the shortage. Production is based on estimated usage, and you have to admit, it has been colder for longer this winter. That said, I don't doubt for a minute that people are being gouged. And, of course, it is the poor who get left in the cold because they can't afford the higher prices. We used to have a credit for people to use to get heating oil or propane, but I think some greedy congress persons ate it. Things just keep getting worse and the people who could do something about it are sitting on their hands hoping they can shrink the government down to nothing leaving our country in the hands of the rich ...which we really already are because of Citizens United ... Our Supreme Court apparently is getting paid off as well. Don't know if this will ever end ... and don't want to think about how it will end. So sad ... makes the expression "Good Old Days" have some real meaning.

Oh I love the little Lion King ... he looks adorable. You should have his stylist do it that way all of the time ... throw tradition to the wind :) Izzi is Miss Mopity Mope these days. She isn't able to get out and play the way she is used to so she sleeps a lot. I can see the layers of fat forming on her sides. Of course, the same goes for me because I am usually out there playing with her and I can feel the layers of fat forming on my whole body. I started trying to eat more sensibly, but it is hard when you are shut in the house with little to keep your mind off of food. This winter is taking a toll in many ways :( I have some blog reading to catch up on and some posts to get ready. I hope your temps do get up so you and Pogo can go out. Stay warm, Edna and knit, knit, knit ... until you are off to Florida (which is when?).

Andrea @ From The Sol

The Queen Jester said...

I also feel the propane issue is more about having people desperate enough to pay anything to stay warm.

Love Pogo's new haircut - it really shows off his sweet little face. Lion King is a good way to describe it.

The Queen Jester said...

I also feel the propane issue is more about having people desperate enough to pay anything to stay warm.

Love Pogo's new haircut - it really shows off his sweet little face. Lion King is a good way to describe it.

Nani said...

The first thing I want to mention today...this evening... is that I wasn't "calling you out" on my post supporting the "victims" in the south! I'd heard lots of "southern idiots" type comments yesterday that were far worse than "don't they know better? Truth is a lot of government agencies weren't prepared, the forecast called for half that much snow and you just can't afford to have common sense if your boss doesn't!

I'm about done with this cold everywhere. And I agree; supply and demand has to meet compassion and decency in the middle. Unfortunately our own government teaches us "in the middle" is just not profitable enough to even think about.

Pogo the lion is a good interim look for him! I like to see his sweet face! Don't worry Mommy, the long hair is just a phase! ;)

We have a chance of snow (where is it gonna go??) between tonight and Saturday night with a "wintery mix" during the day Saturday. :P Spring is already overdue for me!

You and Pogo keep warm!
Hugs, Nani

smiekeltje said...

Here prices of fuel and also electricity are going up, I am sure.
Or they pretend that the price of the electricity goes down a bit, but the companies "forget"to mention that the transportcosts and Vat go up! We are fooled, as we are always.
Pogo looks beautiful with his lion-look!!
Hahaha, funny you told us about the box! Oh, you received a lot of different things there. I just think the things you ordered for the garden still have to be out aside for now, considering the wether you have!
Goin to my post now, so have a great day and weekend ahead!
Tell me, are you feeling better or do you still have troubles with the virus you catched?
Take care, dear.
Hugs
Kyra