Friday, August 26, 2011

Sleepless In New England

August 26, 2011

It's 4:30 in the morning, and I can't sleep.  What else is new?  It's psychological, I think.  I know I have to get some sleep and get up early for work, so my body says no, no, no.  You shall not sleep tonight!!  I think it has something to do with the fact that I worked nights for so many years, and my body does not like being forced to sleep at night in order to be up early to work in the morning. 

Or maybe I just have a lot on my mind.  I'm keeping an eye on Hurricane Irene.  My house is surrounded by tall trees, so I'm always a bit leery during storms.  Plus, I think I'm going to have to break down and buy a generator in case of future power outages.  It's always something!

How about more photos of our resident commorant?  I got so many good photos of this bird that it's hard to narrow them down to only one or two favorites.  Here's a couple of close ups. 



And here's a full photo showing our bird enjoying the sun, with a close up of it's face.



I'm not sure which particular commorant this one is.  According to my books, it's most likely the double crested commorant.  However, it looks just like the neotropic commorant, which isn't supposed to be in this part of the country.  It's difficult to tell by the pictures and descriptions in the books.  So, whichever one this bird is, we'll keep on enjoying it while it's here.

Now I think I'll enjoy my cup of coffee while I watch the weather channel on TV.  Irene is making a mess of things along the Eastern coast, and folks are evacuating from North Carolina all the way up to New York.  They are still forecasting heavy winds and rain for us folks in New England, with the bulk of the nasty weather on Sunday morning.  Things could change, though.  We'll have to wait and watch.

If you're in the path of the storm, stay well and don't forget your pets!  It's times like this when they need you most!  Till tomorrow, Y'all stay dry and have a wonderful day.

Hugs, Edna B. 

No comments: