Friday, September 18, 2009

What Is Hiddenite And Heliodore?

September 18, 2009

Good morning, and it actually is here. The sun is shining and the temperature is not too cool, which means that when it warms up later this morning it will be just lovely. This morning I am broadcasting live from work. (Just a little bit of humor there!!) There are a hundred things I would rather be doing today than work, but the bills keep showing up in my mailbox. Ah well, what can I say?

For my friend Mary Ann and everyone else, I should apologize. When I get started on something that I really like, I just assume that everybody else knows all about it too. My bad! This morning I will try to explain a few of the gemstones that I have been mentioning. In the coming days, I will do the same for the other gemstones that I will be talking about or using for my QP's.
*
Heliodore is a beryl, and refers to the greenish-yellow shades. The pure yellow and golden yellow shades are referred to as Golden Beryl. Other beryls include Morganite, Aquamarine and Emerald.

Hiddenite is a pale-to-emerald green variety of spodumene. Spodumene occurs in lithium rich granites and pegmatites. Transparent material are gemstones, and colors range from white, colorless, gray, pink, violet, lilac, yellow and green.

Kunzite is a pink to lilac colored variety of spodumene, with the color coming from minor to trace amounts of manganese.

Quite a few years ago, a friend took me to a Gem & Mineral trade show, and I've been hooked on gemstones ever since. After that, I took up making jewelry for a few years. This way, I could have nice big stones in my jewelry instead of the little winky dinky ones that I could afford at a jewelry store. When it comes to gemmy jewelry, bigger is definitely better!

That's it for today's lessons. (Gosh, when I was a little girl, I wanted to be a teacher when I grew up.) Well, it's time now for me to make breakfast for the Mrs. I will be back shortly to post some pictures of the above mentioned gemstones. Pictures make it much easier to understand the words, I think.

Hmm, hmm, hmm. (That's me humming while I was making the breakfast.) I will post your pictures now and get back to work. Y'all have a fantastic day now.

Hugs, Edna B.

































































2 comments:

Snowy said...

Love all the green and dark red shades in gem stones - you can keep the diamonds,lol- even if they are worth a lot more. Sapphires are nice as well if they are a really dark blue tone. Well- this interest in gems is another thing we have in common,lol.

Mary Ann Roesler said...

Hi Edna, I am LOL...! Here I thought they were fonts for your scrapbooking. That shows you two subjects I don't know much about. My uncle made me a broach from Malachite which came from Africa. It was so beautiful just an oval but very polished. I lost it and missed it so much. I never thought about going to a gem show to have it replaced. Must look into that. Gene had a family ring made for me all out of sapphires which is so beautiful. Most people don't know that sapphires come in many colors. I think dark green is the only color they don't come in because that month has an emerald in it. Thanks for explaining.