Thursday, February 5, 2009

Cheers For Ms. Iglesias

February 5, 2009

Boy oh boy, it was a bit nippy this morning when I went out. 2 degrees and windchill of 7 below 0. Of course, as the day went on, it warmed up quite a bit - all the way up to about 14 I think. Now the weatherman says we have 40 degree weather coming for the weekend. Sounds like New England weather, all right.

If it wasn't so cold, I might be tempted to go and get some great photos. The scenery in some places is exquisite. But I'm not so crazy about tromping around in the cold. Too bad Harry.

I was reading the obituaries today dated Feb 2, 2009, and came across a very interesting person. Ms. Rosario Iglesias, one of the world's fastest women of 90 years and more, died in Mexico City. She was 98. She was a news vendor who took up sports at the age of 80, and went on to hold five world records for her age group. In 2004, she carried the Olympic torch before tens of thousands on the featured leg of its passage through Mexico en route to Athens.

She won races in Japan, South Africa, Barbados, Britain, Australia, Canada, Puerto Rico and the United States. According to World Masters Athletics, Ms. Iglesias held world records in five categories; both the 85- and 90-and-over class at 400 and 800 meters, and the 90-and-over record at 200 meters (82.29 seconds). What an awesome lady!!!

I love reading about the wonderful things that some of our eldest elders are accomplishing. It gives one inspiration to keep going even when things look a bit bleak. When I grow up, I want to have this kind of ambition.

Before I take my leave to go play with Tootsie for a bit, I will share my contribution to the February Calendar challenge at Magickal Scraps forum. It was made with a photo I had taken at a local park a couple of years ago. Enjoy, and have a great night

Hugs, Edna B.


No comments: